Monday, September 5, 2011

Manic Monday with Abigail Lawrence

Welcome to another Manic Monday guest blog and Happy Labor Day! Today I have Abigail Lawrence, writer and foster parent, talking about what led her to write her memoir Invisible Tears.

Without further adieu – here’s Abigail…


It could be that you have to be a bit mental to write a memoir. And I guess brave too, and let’s face it, you have enough guts to think that your particular life or parts of it, will be of interest to anyone but you. The thing is, we’re all fascinated by our own lives. And so we should be, but to stop people thinking about themselves for a short time, you need to be able to capture that nosy neighbor trait, you know, the desire to find out what the neighbors are up to.



To start, first you’ve got to have a very critical mind and with any book, you have to know what the story line is. Where is the beginning, the middle, the end? How is this thing going to end up and how do all the pieces you’re putting in there relate to that bigger picture? And I have to admit that when I first started writing my story, I didn’t know how it was going to end up and where all the pieces fitted. Now you might say, how you can say that? After all, this was your own life you were writing about. But here’s the thing, the more I got into the writing process, the more I actually learned about what I had experienced in my life. Things that hadn’t made sense at the time began to make sense as an adult. Events that had seemed insignificant finally revealed their meanings. I began to see the connections and finally get a little understanding of what I had been through. I made connections with parts of my life that I knew only little bits of, but research from family members made lots of it fall into place. I know that writing for me was more than cathartic; it taught me a love for the written word, the desire to better myself through writing and the ability to make someone loose themselves. Invisible Tears does just that. Taking you back to another era that time has forgotten. Look out for the next book too, Cupboard Love.


Invisible Tears by Abigail Lawrence

Shocking and spellbinding. The writing voice of Abigail Lawrence is so real that it is impossible to put this book down.

I have to say this is by far the most gripping memoir I have ever read. Five stars! --Steven Ward, Author


At a time when six-year-old Abbie needs love and security, her mother goes to the hospital and never returns. Still distraught, Abbie is passed to whoever will have her. Her new step mother subjects her to unimaginable physical, sexual and psychological torture and delivers her to local paedophiles in the entertainment business. During her single minded pursuit of fame Abbie's step mother stops at nothing, beating and prostituting her own children.

This is the story of Abbie's struggle to survive, the grim details of child abuse of the worst kind all told from the perspective of a little girl.

As a teenager Abbie is uncontrollable. A Modette during the 80's revival, she finds a love of scooters, rebellion and gang life on the wild side. Dulling her pain with alcohol, drugs and promiscuity at a very young age, Abbie loses control and becomes well known to the local police. Not one person can get through to her because she has no fear, no self respect, no morals or self worth. With nothing to lose, she throws herself into one battle after another, blood and guts brawling between the skin heads and the mods on the streets of London.

Her family eventually disowns her realizing they are unable to help. Abbie finds herself in the care of the Court until she is abandoned by children's homes and Social Services too. Alone, penniless and pregnant at the age of 16. Haunted by the secrets of her unspeakable past. Will anyone ever see her invisible tears?


You can purchase Invisible Tears at the following places:
Amazon US    Amazon UK   Barnes & Noble  Smashwords


You can find out more about Abigail Lawrence at her website.
Thanks for joining Abigail today and swing in on Wednesday, when I’ve got Ty Drago on tap for a special Wednesday blog.

Until then,

Ciao

JET







No comments: