Friday, September 16, 2011

Dishing it up with George Everyman

Today I’m dishing it up with George Everyman. George is indeed everyman. He struggles with marriage and he struggles to understand the female perspective. If you're a man who has been in a relationship for a while, you will be able to relate to him in many ways. And if you're a woman who wants to take a peek into a man's mind, this is your chance.

JET: Can you tell us about I'm George, mwm, 52?

George: I'm not a writer by trade but some interesting events in my life and my wife's life must have sparked something deep in my psyche and the book just kind of wrote itself. It took 37 days to write which, ironically, is the same number of days that my e-affair with Lara lasted.

JET: What drew you to contemporary romance and humor?

George: Well, romance and humor are the closest genres that I can associate with this book, but it's really hard to pigeon hole this kind of book into a specific type. And it's probably helpful to know that I wasn't writing it for any specific audience. I was writing it to sort out some things in my mind. One reviewer said: "This is memoir/comedy/tragedy/self-help and it should be viewed as a mixture of all of them".

JET: What’s been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

George: There weren't any hurdles, really. A friend had written a book and there was an article in the local paper about how he published through Smashwords, so I did the same and it was pretty easy. Of course, I had (and have) no intention of contacting the local newspaper because if my wife Abby were to find out about the book and actually read it, I'd be in deep, deep trouble.

JET: What was your favorite moment in the journey?

George: It was pretty darn cool to see the book 'out there' and have people actually downloading and reading it.

JET: Which authors had the most influence over you growing up?

George: I loved Dr. Doolittle as a kid.

JET: When did you know you wanted to take the plunge into the writing world?

George: Shortly after I found out about my wife's affair.

JET: What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of book research? Most interesting fact you uncovered?

George: Well, in kind of a convoluted way, you could say that my e-affair was 'research'.

JET: Of all the novels and stories you’ve written - which one is your favorite? Why?

George: This is the only one I have written.

JET: Any advice for the novices out there?

George: Oh yes. Plenty. Everyone has at least one story to tell, so tell it. But, in the process, from the very beginning, tell the truth. Sure, if you have to cover some things up to not cause huge problems with your spouse or friends or family, that's OK. But it's not OK to try and please everyone with what you think they might expect from you. If you are trying to please anyone with your books, you are missing the point. Don't write for others, write for yourself.

JET: All right - now that I’ve hammered you with the big questions, let’s tackle my favorite (and geeky) quick ten. . . starting with: Paper or Plastic?

George: Paper comes from trees, naturally. Plastic wreaks havoc with nature.

JET: Steak or Tofu?

George: Steak with a blue cheese tofu sauce on top.

JET: Beach or Mountains?

George: Mountains in the summer. The beach in winter.

JET: Country or Rock-n-Roll?

George: Bluegrass

JET: Leather or Lace?

George: Leather. It smells and feels so good.

JET: Angels or Demons?

George: God, I wish Angels would talk to me. There are no demons.

JET: Paper or Digital?

George: Paper.

JET: Silent Film Classics or Cheesy B Rated Horror?

George: Number one.

JET: Sword wielding ninja or Gun toting momma?

George: Give me Bogey.

JET: Coffee or Tea?

George: Coffee with cream and sugar.

JET: Thank you for indulging me. Before we wrap this up, can you tell us what you're working on now? What's next?

George: The super brain (we all have one) is working on something but it's not giving me much right now about the scope of it. However, when it's ready, it will come at me like a locomotive, I'm sure.

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on my blog. Folks, you can find out more about George Everyman and his work at the following places:

Smashwords   Nook   Kindle

Next week, I’ve got K.J. Morgan on my Manic Monday series and Gerald Rice dishing it up next Friday.

Until then,
Ciao.
JET.

No comments: