Friday, December 9, 2011

Dishing it up with Jonathan DeCoteau

Today I have the pleasure of dishing it up with Jonathan DeCoteau, author of "The Storm World Series"


Jonathan, can you tell us about the Storm World books or about your most recent book?

My most recent title is The Fluent Sculpture of Time. It deals with the idea that science has conquered death and an aging grandfather must decide if he wishes to live forever or join his late wife in death.

The Storm World Trilogy is more of a Christian apocalyptic series following a teen who must fulfill a prophecy and face the storms sweeping the world if the world is to survive.

What drew you to YA fantasy?

I always loved reading books with supernatural twists, whether they were YA or otherwise. It only felt natural to write one.

What's been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

The road to publication itself. Presently, only one of my books has been published in trade paperback form by a small press. It's a hurdle I still face.

Which authors had the most influence on you growing up?

As a child, I loved Roald Dahl. When I was nine, I thought that the idea of basing a book on a chocolate factory was sheer genius. As an adult, I still find his short stories memorable.

When did you know you wanted to take the plunge in the writing world?

As soon as I started imagining the stories I read as vividly as if I was seeing them in real life.

What's the most interesting fact you uncovered?

When researching the idea of early Christian mummification for the Storm World books, I had to say that I wasn't aware that it even existed. It's still a strange, paradoxical world to me.

Of the novels you've written, which is your favorite?

The Storm World books, while not the best received, are the ones that are most personal to me.

Any advice for novices?

Actually, I still am one. If I had to give any advice, though, I'd say that if the rejections and reviews haven't stopped me (and maybe they should have!), then don't let anything stop you!

Favorites:

Paper or plastic?

I'm for reusable bags.

Steak or tofu?

There's no competition. Steak.

Beach or mountains?

Beach.

Country or Rock-n-Roll?

Rock-n-Roll—specifically, eighties synthpop.

Angels or demons?

Angels all the way.

Paper or digital?

Doesn't matter to me—it's the book that's important.

Silent Film Classics or Cheesy B-Rated Horror?

Whichever's funnier.

2012 Mayan Prophecy Believer or Ain't Gonna Happen?

We'll still be here in 2013, and the bills will still have to get paid.

Coffee or Tea?

Coffee—only if there's a lot of sugar and cream. Otherwise, soda.

What are you working on next?

Christmas shopping, actually. Everything else falls on the back burner until that wraps up.

Thanks for having me!



Folks, you can find out more about Jonathan DeCoteau and his books on Amazon.
Swing in next week when we have Laura Vosika, Ellis Hoff and V.H. Folland on tap.

Until then,
Ciao,
JET

1 comment:

J. R. Tomlin said...

Nice interview. Looks like a fun series.

I do with you'd put a twitter thingie on your blog though. :)