Friday, January 13, 2012

Dishing it up with John Payne

Today I have the pleasure of dishing it up with John C. Payne. John was born in Chicago but moved to Wisconsin as a youth. He is a retired US Army officer Army and successfully operated three small businesses after his retirement.


He loves to write and teach. John was an adjunct professor in business at several universities and spent many post-military years in the field of health care administration. Like his book trilogy main theme, he loved to move and change jobs every three years engaging in new, unrelated and exciting challenges.

JET: Can you tell us about your most recent book?

John: I am doing a trilogy on my main character. All of the titles are… Three and Out with subtitles for each book. I have already published the first one (The Saga of a San Francisco Apartment Manager) and more recently, the second one (Running a Mental Health hospital in San Antonio). I’m still working to complete the third one (The Chicago Terminus). The second book finds my character taking over a mental health facility located near the famous River Walk in San Antonio while a CIA investigation is taking place. Prior to his appointment, an embedded CIA agent is found on the ward with a scissors in her chest. The CIA suspects an al-Qaeda cell forming in the area. Strange things happen during the investigation to include some interesting love interest between some of the main characters.

JET: What’s been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

John: The editing process. It’s difficult to locate a good one who doesn’t charge an arm and a leg.

JET: What was your favorite moment in the journey?

John: Tying up some loose ends in the book to insure continuity and consistency.

JET: Which authors ha the most influence over you growing up?

John: Probably Huck Finn. I really didn’t read that much growing up.

JET: When did you know you wanted to take the plunge into the writing world?

John: When my wife and I left San Francisco after managing a downtown apartment complex I told her I need to write a book about this someday because nobody would believe my stories.

JET: What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of book research? Most interesting fact you uncovered?

John: Lying awake most nights trying to recall life events which I can then fictionalize. I have too many life experiences that tend to muddy the waters.

JET: Of all the novels and stories you’ve written-which one is your favorite? Why?

John: I am a new writer. I’ve only published two books. The second Three and Out about the mental health hospital. Why?...because it’s crazy!

JET: Any advice for the novices out there?

John: I am a novice but I would tell any new writer that each book is always a new measuring stick because a writer learns so much more with each project that should make the next book that much more exciting.

JET: All right-now that I’ve hammered you with the big questions, let’s tackle my favorite (and geeky) quick ten…starting with…Paper or Plastic?

John: Paper…easier to make changes, easier to dispose of.

JET: Steak or Tofu?

John: Steak…I’m a red-blooded American Midwesterner.

JET: Beach or Mountains?

John: Beach…I like the sun and the sand…and the bikinis.

JET: Country or Rock-n-Roll

John: Neither…New Age for this old guy.

JET: Top 10 Best Seller or Unknown Back Shelf Find?

John: Back Shelf Find…too many Patterson’s, Baldacci’s and the rest of the heavily promoted and subsidized authors.

JET: Zombies or Demons?

John: Demons…don’t believe in Zombies but encountered many demons (not my own of course).

JET: Paper or Digital?

John: Digit…I’ve finally graduated.

JET: Silent Film Classics or Chess B Rated Horror?

John: Neither…read my earlier comments.

JET: Sword wielding ninja or gun toting momma?

John: I like the gun toting mommas.

JET: Coffee or tea?

John: Coffee…and lots of it.

JET: Thank you for indulging me. Before we wrap this up, can you tell us what you’re working on now? What’s next?

John: I am 90% done with the third book in the trilogy. When the trilogy is finished I’m going to make the main character’s grandson a super sleuth.

JET: Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on my blog.

Folks, you can find out more about John Payne and his work at the following places: www.authorsden.com/johncpayne
http://www.amazon.com/.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/
His books are available in both hard copy and eBook format.

Until Next time...
Ciao.
JET

No comments: