Friday, September 28, 2012

Interview with Author Susan Cartwright



Today I have the pleasure of having Susan Cartwright, author of Wolf Dawn and Wolf Revenge, on my blog.


JET: Can you tell us about your most recent book?

Susan: Wolf Revenge is the sequel to Wolf Dawn. It is a continuation of the nail-biting adventure of love, spaceship chases, plagues, alien planets, mind control and the wonderful Red Wolves of Opan.

JET: What drew you to science fiction?

Susan: Probably watching Star Trek and Star Wars. I read everything from Regency romance, paranormal, thrillers, murder mystery and cowboys – you name it. But I only write the future. I like world building on other planets, and imagining futuristic philosophies and attitudes. For a start in my books humankind has lost the guilt ridden, prudish, impractical responses towards sex

JET: What’s been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

Susan: Overcoming my own barriers.

Luke: “I don’t believe it!”

Yoda: “And that is why you fail.”

What I like about e-book publishing it is that ANYONE can publish ANYTHING and they don’t have to have approval from publishing “gatekeepers.” Other than vanity publishing, publishers once were to the final authority dictating who could and couldn’t write. Now everyone can write a book. And let the reader decide.

I was told to write in a certain way to get approval from a publisher. Adverbs were out. That is to say, “He stepped forward gracefully and took her hand…” “Gracefully” would be frowned on by a publisher. Why? I don’t know. I like adverbs.

I was told to keep a book to 100,000 words or no publisher would publish it. “Wolf Dawn” is about 140,000 words. With e-publishing I was free to write exactly what I wanted, without constraint. Believe me, after trying to meet publishing expectations, this lack of restraint really made my day.

In the end, I made the decision that I didn’t really need a publisher’s magic wand of approval to feel validated as an author. I just needed to get my book out there. So far, people seem to like “Wolf Dawn.” Many even love it.

It’s a big jump to make, self-publishing, but it felt good to just go ahead and do it. No regrets so far….

JET: What was your favorite moment in the journey?

Susan: Readers and fans. How neat is that? I love reader’s comments. Many people love my little wolf story. Readers have also been giving me ideas on further books. For fun I have put some fan’s names as characters in my books. It is a little thank you and fun for them and me.

JET: Which authors had the most influence over you growing up?

Susan: Too many to name. I was an introverted child and chronic reader, regularly transporting myself to other worlds.

JET: When did you know you wanted to take the plunge into the writing world?

Susan: When I was first published in 4th grade, but I couldn't see money in it so like many potential authors, I pragmatically got a well paid career instead, and wrote as a hobby.

JET: What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of book research? Most interesting fact you uncovered?

Susan: Oh, quantum physics for sure! (Research for Wolf Revenge)

You see, the act of observing creates the observed.

The double-slit test uses an electron gun to fire particles at a far wall through two slits. The gist of this experiment is that the particles fired through the double slits always take the form they are expected to take. The observation of the observer is what dictates the electron’s form (whether wave or particle). The electrons actually have no form until they are observed. The act of observing is what prompts them to take on any form at all, and each observer creates something different. It throws out everything we once believe in physical or mechanical physics re: cause and effect. Pretty fascinating stuff.

JET: Of all the novels and stories you’ve written - which one is your favorite? Why?

Susan: Book Two, Wolf Revenge. What is not to like about Revenge? So satisfying! Everyone loves that book best, including the author. In the words of one fan: "Wolf Dawn was enchanting and Wolf Revenge exhilarating!"

JET: Any advice (from a writer’s standpoint) for the novices out there?

Susan: The best authors write. Just write, write, write pages and pages per day. You will find your own unique style and become good through practice. Oh, and believe in yourself.

JET: All right - now that I’ve hammered you with the big questions, let’s tackle my favorite (and geeky) quick ten. . . starting with: Paper or Plastic?

Susan: Paper

JET: Steak or Tofu?

Susan: Rare Steak

JET: Beach or Mountains?

Susan: Beach

JET: Country or Rock-n-Roll?

Susan: Rock-n-Roll

JET: Leather or Lace?

Susan: Leather baby!

JET: Angels or Demons?

Susan: Angels

JET: Paper or Digital?

Susan: Digital

JET: Silent Film Classics or Cheesy B Rated Horror?

Susan: Cheesy for sure

JET: Twilight or True Blood

Susan: True blood. I like grit

JET: Coffee or Tea?

Susan: Fresh ground coffee. Yum

JET: Thank you for indulging me. Before we wrap this up, can you tell us what you're working on now? What's next?

Susan: The next in the series, Wolf War, Wolf Trap, Wolf Trials or Wolf Triumph. I have no end to ideas, and love spending time with my characters.

JET: Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on my blog. Folks, you can find out more about Susan Cartwright and her work over at her website:  http://www.susancartwright.com/

Until next time,

Ciao.

JET

No comments: