Monday, November 28, 2011

Welcome to another Manic Monday!


Today, Michelle Scott is dishing about the things she’s thankful for. Michelle’s stories have appeared in such places as Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show, All Possible Worlds and Realms. Her fantasy novel, The Dragons of Hazlett was nominated for a 2009 EPPIE Award. Her YA novels include the vampire romance, Blood Sisters, and the fantasy Uncommon Magic and An Anthem for the Battle Lands. Michelle’s latest release, Straight to Hell, is now available on Amazon, Smashwords and Barnes and Noble. Michelle lives in southeast Michigan with her husband and three children.





Ten Things I’m Thankful For as an Indie Author

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. It has delectable food, a sense of family and tradition, and plenty of festivity, yet I don’t associate it with the frenzy of Christmas (or any other over-commercialized holiday.) It might also have something to do with the fact that it is the one holiday I’m never obligated to host!

In any event, I’d like to honor the spirit of Thanksgiving by listing a few things that I, as an indie author, am grateful for.

• My family – every writer needs a support system, and I’m lucky to have a husband and children who not only encourage me to write, but who proudly tell people they know that I’m a writer.

• My readers –I’m so thankful to those who not read my book, but who also took the time to write a nice review or send me an encouraging e-mail.

• The community of indie authors – Connecting with other indie authors is so important! I appreciate the advice and support that other independent authors have provided me. And I love doing the same for them.

• Stories – And I mean all stories, not just mine. I’ve been reading books for over forty years, and I still marvel at how many amazing plots and characters I keep discovering. (Thanks to you, too, authors for your wonderfully imaginative minds!)

• Coffee, dark chocolate, wine, and biscotti – These are my writing comfort foods.

• An office of my own – Every writer needs a place where she can go and create her stories, and I’m blessed to have my own little garret above the garage. It may not look like much, but it’s quiet and comfortable.

• Music – I like to write with a soundtrack in mind. So I’m glad to have an iPod, iTunes, and three kids who keep introducing me to new music.

• Stephen King – I tell people that Stephen King taught me how to write. Not literally, of course, but I spent my teenage years reading and re-reading his books and through all of that, I learned a little bit about how to put words on the page.

• Distractions – Yes, I’m glad for distractions because I need them to remind me that there is more to life than writing.

• Successes and failures – I’m convinced that both of these things are necessary to a writer’s life. Failures make us stronger and give us the strength to push ourselves. Successes remind us that what we do is important and that, if we work hard, we can succeed.

Don't forget to swing in on Friday to hear about some fabulous December releases. 

Until Then,
Ciao
JET

No comments: