Monday, October 18, 2010

Review of Draculas

I finished Draculas a week ago and I’m still a bit ambivalent about it. I liked it – don’t get me wrong, but I didn’t love it. So my lament is where do I put it on a scale of five stars? For me it’s 3.5 stars – right smack between I liked it and I liked it a lot.


Several factors weighed in on this, one of which surprised me since I’m usually the queen of gore. I’m not squeamish by any stretch of the imagination, and this didn’t make me queasy but the sheer abundance of gore shocked me to the point I might not have kept reading if I hadn’t signed up to review the book.

But if I did that – I would have missed out.

Yes, the gore in the beginning got to me and turned me off, but eventually the characters, specifically Jenny and Randall – won me over. These two characters were the reason I kept reading, I cheered for them, felt anxiety for their fate, even cried for them. To me, they were the strongest of the book’s cast.

Another factor that played into the score was the fact that I just couldn’t picture what these monsters looked like. Of course, there were several descriptions of what happened, how they turned, but I just couldn’t picture it no matter how I tried and I’m usually so good at visualization. The good thing about this – I didn’t have any nightmares related to reading Draculas but I’m sure others did.

The last factor for my scoring was the ending. I’m not going to spoil it here, but I was a bit taken back. You could even say a couple things pissed me off. But not the fact they left it open-ended and allowed for the possibility of a sequel and a million and one questions fluttering around my brain for days.

This book certainly isn’t the usual vampire story – it brought me back to the days of Salem’s Lot, where these creatures were the embodiment of evil and I liked that far better than the brooding vampires in the Twilight series that ended in what I call an anti-climax of nothingness.

This definitely didn’t fall into the anti-climax of nothingness category and for those who dig a scary, blood-ridden ride, pick this sucker up – you won’t be disappointed.

On Friday (10/22), I have the pleasure of having the authors of Draculas - Joe, F Paul, Jeff and Blake - on my blog for a short interview. Join me then to find out more about Draculas.  In the meantime, if you want to purchase this book - hop on over to Amazon by way of this link:

Buy DRACULAS here!


Until we meet again -
Ciao
JET

No comments: