Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Author Interview Series - Clifton Coetzee

Today I have the pleasure of talking with non-fiction author Clifton Coetzee...

JET: Can you tell us about your most recent book?


Cliff: My new book is a non-fiction. It cover various topics and technologies relating to the art and skill of detecting deception. I discuss the theories behind the three main techniques of statement analysis (written and spoken words). There are sections on the two principle technologies, being Voice Stress Analysis and Polygraphy. I introduce my new obsession, facial analysis and how it can be used to identify people with anti-social and sociopathic tendencies.

JET: What drew you to (genre)?

Cliff: Many years of working as a fraud investigator led me to acquire all the tools necessary to detect and expose fraud and deception.

JET: What’s been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

Cliff: Fixing typo’s and learning to write properly. Thank you Jayne Southerns.

JET: What was your favorite moment in the journey?

Cliff: Seeing the end in sight. Checking the final edit.

JET: Which authors had the most influence over you growing up?

Cliff: Louis L’Amour, Mickey Spillane, Charles Dickens. Many others.

JET: When did you know you wanted to take the plunge into the writing world?

Cliff: I started writing poetry at the age of fifteen. Some were published in family magazines.

I progressed to short stories by age of eighteen. At that time I was inducted into the SA Military.

Two years in the military and witnessing some horrendous action had a profound effect on me for years.

My imagination and creativity died. Many, many years later I started writing poetry again.

JET: What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of book research? Most interesting fact you uncovered?

Cliff: The craziest thing was finding unconvicted murderers and robbers for interviews. Naturally, there was a great deal of suspicion regarding my questions, but I believe that ‘everybody wants to talk about themselves’ and this belief worked for me. People told me some pretty hair raising life stories.

The most interesting fact I discovered is that a very high percentage ( approx. 95%) of criminal psychopaths share several common facial and cranial features.

JET: Of all the novels and stories you’ve written - which one is your favorite? Why?

Cliff: I am writing two novels presently. The latest one resonates deeply with me. I unwittingly incorporated aspects of my own life into the story. Once I started it, the story began to write itself. In the story, a family falls apart after a tragedy. My personal life is also falling apart currently, so the sadness and heartache is very real.

JET: Any advice (from a writer’s standpoint) for the novices out there?

Cliff: Write. Write. Write. Then edit, edit, edit. Get people who read a lot to give you critique. But write your stories. Start now. Don’t wait until it’s too late.

JET: All right - now that I’ve hammered you with the big questions, let’s tackle my favorite (and geeky) quick ten. . . starting with: Paper or Plastic?

Cliff: Paper. Plastic is generally not bio degradable and it ends up on our beaches in micron sized nurdles.

JET: Steak or Tofu?

Cliff: Steak. I love steak salads. Tofu reminds me of plastic

JET: Beach or Mountains?

Cliff: I love the mountains and am lucky to live in a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains. I can handle a quick walk on the beach, but if it’s windy, I stay far away from beach sand.

JET: Country or Rock-n-Roll?

Cliff: Actually, neither. I’m a full on Blues fan. I like old style jazzy blues.

JET: Leather or Lace?

Cliff: Reminds me of the song by Stevie Nicks. Leather reminds me of cowboys. In my dreamworld I’m sometimes a cowboy.

JET: Angels or Demons?

Cliff: Angels please, just as long as they’re not coming to fetch me.

JET: Horror or Comedy?

Cliff: I love laughing. Laughing is a tonic. It relieves stress. Give me comedy anytime.

JET: Spring or Fall?

Cliff: Spring signifies that summer is on the way. Fall is the frontman for Jack Frost. I don’t like Jack unless it’s Jack D.

JET: Kick-ass name-taker or Scream for help?

Cliff: Bruce Willis is a KANT. I like his bad ass attitude. I would rather be a KANT than a screamer.

JET: Sword wielding ninja or Gun toting momma?

Cliff: Ninja movies are boring. A gun toting momma is always gonna get my attention.

JET: Mint gum or Bubblegum?

Cliff: Blowing bubbles is for teenage girls. Mint gum has obvious benefits. But, if you catch me chewing away like a Alex Ferguson, please punch me.

JET: Thank you for indulging me. Before we wrap this up, can you tell us what you're working on now? What's next?

Cliff: I’m writing the 2nd series of a novella – Conversations Of A Killer and a new novel, Revengilante (The Day Katelyn Died)

I’ve also started a research project for my next non-fiction, which will concentrate on facial and cranial analysis. I intend to interview and hopefully photograph 200 convicted criminals that confessed to violent crimes.

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on my blog. Folks, you can find out more about Cliff Coetzee and his work at the following places:

http://truthextraction.blogspot.com/

http://voicestressanalysis.blogspot.com/

Thanks for hanging with us today.

Until next time,

Ciao

JET





No comments: