Friday, February 11, 2011

Dishing it up with Betty Ann Harris

Hi all!


Today I have the pleasure of having Romantic Suspense author Betty Ann Harris on my blog. Here’s a snippet from the bio on her website:


I have been a self-admitted hopeless romantic ever since I can remember. My love of words and the English language was developed in elementary school when I had the good fortune of having an awesome sixth grade English teacher. She had the class do a visual book report, either finding or drawing pictures with written captions, to explain what the book we had read was about. It's then I realized how important a writer's description of characters and scenery is when telling a story.


Writing is my passion and an important part of my life. But besides writing, I'm a happily married mother of two grown boys and two adorable dogs. I enjoy reading, music, gardening, and interior decorating.


JET: Can you tell us a little about your latest book in the Special Agent Series?

Betty Ann: My latest book in the Special Agent Series is titled Agent Of Mercy. Agent Of Mercy is a mainstream romance-suspense/mystery.

The story is about New York City FBI Special Agent Sam Blake who is working undercover on the Catherine Jones case. Catherine is a mentally disturbed woman who has a deep psychotic hate of men. She finds wealthy, single men and seduces them. Once in her clutches, she steals from them and takes off, leaving them heartbroken and broke, and sometimes dead.

Sam poses as a cunning criminal himself, gains Catherine’s trust and friendship and tries to bring her into custody, only to find himself feeling sorry for her and falling for her feminine charm.

They are both deceiving each other and become engaged in a high-stakes game of cat and mouse. Catherine deceives Sam and takes all the money and flies to St. Croix, the Virgin Islands. But he’s a good investigator and agent and he’s right on her tail.

Meanwhile, Sam’s assistant, Melissa, who had an affair with Sam previously and who is still very much in love with him, is trying to help him not fall prey to Catherine’s charms, and keep him alive.

JET: What drew you to romantic suspense?

Betty Ann: I’ve always enjoyed reading romantic suspense, so when I decided to write, it came naturally to me to write the kind of stories that I liked to read myself. You get the emotional involvement with the characters and a good thrill all in the same story.

JET: What’s been your most challenging hurdle on the road to publication?

Betty Ann: Promoting and marketing is time-consuming but it’s something every author has to do if they want to get their books noticed and hopefully purchased. It’s difficult to find a balance in finding enough time to promote and market my published books and to continue writing and publishing books.

JET: What was your favorite moment in the journey?

Betty Ann: I think my favorite moment was when my first ebook, Eureka Point, was put into print. Actually holding my book in my hands made me feel that I’d finally done it.

JET: Which authors had the most influence over you growing up?

Betty Ann: Growing up I totally enjoyed Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock books and movies.

JET: When did you know you wanted to take the plunge into the writing world?

Betty Ann: I didn’t seriously think about writing a book until I was about fifty years old and my kids had become adults, when I felt I had the time to do it.

JET:What’s the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of book research? Most interesting fact you uncovered?

Betty Ann: Hmmm, the craziest thing… I’d have to say it was probably deciding to go look at guns to make sure I knew what I was talking about. My sister and I sometimes write together, and she was at an airport waiting for a flight in an airport restaurant. I happened to call her and asked if she could check with the flight attendant about using cell phones while in the air, for a book I was working on. She told me there was a pilot having something to eat in the restaurant, and as soon as she was finished her snack she was going to interview him, if he had the time. And she did.

JET: Of all the novels and stories you’ve written - which one is your favorite? Why?

Betty Ann: Eureka Point is my favorite for a few reasons. It was my first book. I also poured myself into the main female character and felt like she was my best friend, like I really knew her personally. I’m so attached to the characters and the story that I’ve written a sequel. That way I can keep it alive.

JET: Any advice (from a writer’s standpoint) for the novices out there?

Betty Ann: I would say you should write because you have a passion for it, but not to expect a big return on your investment right away.

JET:All right - now that I’ve hammered you with the big questions, let’s tackle my favorite (and geeky) quick ten. . . starting with:

JET:Paper or Plastic?

Betty Ann: Paper, preferably in plastic, but I don’t ask for that anymore. It’s convenient but not practical.

JET:Steak or Tofu?

Betty Ann: Tofu.

JET:Beach or Mountains?

Betty Ann: Beach AND mountains together, like in Northern California.

JET:Country or Rock-n-Roll?

Betty Ann: Rock-n-Roll.

JET:Leather or Lace?

Betty Ann: Lace.

JET:Angels or Demons?

Betty Ann: Angels.

JET:Paper or Digital?

Betty Ann: Digital.

JET: Silent Film Classics or Cheesy B Rated Horror?

Betty Ann: Cheesy B Rated Horror.

JET:White Chocolate or Dark Chocolate?

Betty Ann: Dark chocolate.

JET:Coffee or Tea?

Betty Ann: Tea.

JET: Thank you for indulging me. Before we wrap this up, can you tell us what you're working on now? What's next?

Betty Ann: I’m working on finishing up the sequel to Eureka Point, which is titled Beyond The Point. I’m also finishing up my next book in The Special Agent Series. This time the special agent is a woman, Ruby Stone, in Danger In Paradise. I’m also working on my first paranormal, possibly a gothic, titled Possessing Prudence.


Thank you so much for taking the time to chat on my blog. Folks, you can find out more about Betty Ann Harris and her work at the following places: http://bettyannharris.com/

The Special Agent Series Blog: http://specialagentseries.blogspot.com/

Romance, Roses & A Gun Blog: http://romancerosesandagun.blogspot.com/

Thanks for joining us! 
Until next week.
Ciao!
JET

1 comment:

desitheblonde said...

i can say bot book look good to me and they are both interesting i read either on and then let you now how i fell about them